Saturday 7 January 2012

Motivocean

Based on my various roles with SAS and the developing ideas and building knowledge of marine and coastal issues I somehow landed in a dream job between my second and third year of university. A few phone calls and a brief meeting later I was stripped from a summer of rain soaked surf coaching and behind the reigns of organising and rolling out a national beach clean and sports tour titled "Motivocean."

The project was backed and funded by V Inspired, a national youth volunteering agency specifically for 16-25yr olds, and Quiksilver Foundation.  The core of the Motivocean brief was to engage 1000 youth volunteers with environmental volunteering opportunties and new sports, so it was a no brainer for SAS!!!

CLEAN YOUR LOCAL BEACH AND GET A FREE SURF LESSON!

Too good to be true and I only wish a opportunity like this came around when I was a grom. Here are some photos and vox pops I captured throughout the tour, which reached out to over 1000 volunteers, covering 23 locations and even an event on the Thames in London!

We kicked the tour off with the Greenaway Pro surf festival in St Ives, the tour went off with a bang! Great team of volunteers and working alongside an incredible event that I really hope see to return come 2012!


The Bournemouth event was infamous for the amount of cigarette butts found, we filled the butt bottle four times in a hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment